Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Turbo issue

Not sure what is happening but I suspect the turbo is sticking. Upon starting the engine, about two to three seconds later, the engine makes a grinding noise and the truck noticeably rocks slightly. Sounds like the noise is coming from the right of me in the area of the turbo. My best guess is the turbo vanes or unison ring is stuck and the build up of exhaust forces it to move. First noticed it after the truck had sat for probably a month. It is no longer a daily driver. Most of the miles are highway. Since then, it would be the same if it sat for at least one week, if only a couple days, then it was considerably less noticeable. I have since drove the truck out to the farm which is about 220 miles one way. It has not repeated the problem.

No codes thrown.

In April of 2010 I had turbo problems. Nothing noticeable to me, but the CEL came up. PO299. ? Don't know what that number means. Dealer replaced CAC(?) tube with a bigger one and also replaced the unison ring. Tech stated there was rust visible on it. Appartently, its common to replace the drain with a bigger one, they told me. (I may have some of this terminology wrong, but I believe this is what they did and told me).

Specs: 06 F350 6.0L Build date in Oct 05. 60.7K miles on it. 1353 engine hours. Never a tuner or mod. Only flash occurred when the turbo was fixed as they stated they had to per Ford policy.

Am I looking at a turbo failure in the future? I hear they are expensive. Is it preventable?

I am not the type to modify what the manufacturer made, i.e. EGR removal etc.

Thanks

Ford Truck Articles