Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

UGH problems already!!

ok truck is an 03 F 150 with manual floor shift 4wd,, automatic hubs

today i was out and about and it started snowing.. no real accumulation but it seemed a bit slippery.. SO i throw it in neutral and into 4wd then drive again and start going... it seemed ok but it seems slow in 4wd ( high) but i never paid no mind.. anyway im looking for an address and i realize i have to turn left.. I come to a complete stop and cut the wheel three or four turns left bit not to the end point and try to move . it was like the truck was dragging, didnt want to move so i give it more gas and it was kinda like it was hanging up some then moving some clunk clunk clunk.. almost like partial slippage or something... it did the same thing when i tried to pull into a parking spot that was a 45 degree angle to the curb... drop it out of 4wd and shes finein 2wd..

Ideas or diagnosis ?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Sounds like a Evil spirit OoooOooOooOo.....

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Were the roads covered in snow? Or just wet?

If the roads were just wet then 4wd was not needed, 4wd is not to be used in high traction situations....

Dry roads, wet roads..............

If the snow was sticking and it really was slick out then you may have a real problem....

By slick i mean can you get out and actually slide around, not slam on your breaks from 50mph and slide a little bit...

Can you slide in your shoes on the asphalt?
If not, then no need for 4wd, if so, then your in the clear.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I say got some old shriveled up prune that can speak with the Evil new yorker haint and tell it to pee off, or just beat the hell out of the drive train with a RBFH.

I know this happened to my bros truck, he had put a locker in the rear and if he was on any thing slick the truck would keep on dragging forward after he turned the wheel, other then that I ain't gotta clue sorry boss man.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Could possibly be a u-joint binding on the front axle. Does that generation truck have a TTB or IFS? Does it only do it when turning LEFT?

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
You say part of the roads?
How about the 2 locations that the truck made the noise?

I would be willing to bet they were not iced over or had stuck snow....

U-joint is possible, but i like to get out all the FREE fixes before i start throwing money at it....

no i was turning before that but its when i was at a dead stop and began turning.. the first time the road was only wet the second time there was snow on the road but not more than maybe half an inch first time was a hard left i was in the right lane and relized i had to make a left at the intersection so i waited for traffic and made a hard left , but not that i had to lock up the wheels and the noise only started when i started moving and the second time it was a right and i was pulling into a nose in spot on a 45 degree angle to the curb

Last edited:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Sounds like classic driveline wrap-up, caused from using 4WD on dry/wet pavement. Part time 4WD should Only be used on snow/ice packed pavement, off road or on dirt/gravel roads etc. To use part time 4WD all wheels must be able to freely slip/spin to prevent driveline wrap-up.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Sounds like classic driveline wrap-up, caused from using 4WD on dry/wet pavement. Part time 4WD should Only be used on snow/ice packed pavement, off road or on dirt/gravel roads etc. To use part time 4WD all wheels must be able to freely slip/spin to prevent driveline wrap-up.

Perzactly. GM's 4X4 system has that "Auto" function for just that reason- it shifts in an out of 4WD as it senses slippage.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Perzactly. GM's 4X4 system has that "Auto" function for just that reason- it shifts in an out of 4WD as it senses slippage.

Yep exactly, if your vehicle has an "Auto" position on the 4WD selector then the system has been designed with driveline features (ie clutches) that allow driveline slip if the tires are on dry/wet pavement with good grip. Many manufactures have "Auto" settings on some of there vehicles. Think of the "Auto" setting as "Full Time" 4WD or AWD. Some race/sports cars use AWD to improve performance/handling.

Last edited:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
If its fine in 2wd, and just in 4 that will narrow alot, but I do bet that you had traction as stated. I know your year is common for hub failures, nothing new to Ford owners. If he has a manual shift on the floor then he doesnt have the auto setting. You can always jack up the front and turn the wheels from side to side then spin em and see if anything feels like its binding.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Check your driveshaft bolts, front and rear....trust me....torque them down. Mine came loose, but not enough to move by hand, but if you looked at the holes that they bolt through, you could see a little play.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts