Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

V10 or Diesel ?

This summer we'll need a new 4x4 Dually Crew Cab F-350 for our yard care business, and it will be mainly for towing. Trailer weight is 9530 -10,752 lbs on average.
And that towing is (spring, summer & fall) alot of days of drive 10-20 minutes, shut off for 25min-1 1/2 hr and repeat. It's only 1 day in 7 that we drive more than 20 minutes and on those days it's around 3 1/2 hrs before restart. In winter on snow days it will run all day and nite, only shut off is to refuel untill snow work is finished.
We've had a Powerstroke 7.3, a Duramax(fixamax would be better)and a Cummins, none of them ever hit 150K mi before overhaul due to the summer cycle. All our gas powered trucks go that far or more, no big price to buy or repair but the fuel bill is there every month.
So if anyone has any thoughts on one or the other I'd like to hear it.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
no ? about it diesel all the way. if you are towing that is the only way to go IMO. One thing I would add is to not shut it off in the summer if you are only letting it sit for 30 mins to an hour. that diesel will be better off doing that than off and on all day.

In the city on the summer mowing route it is not a good idea to let them run, my Dodge diesel was found in a cornfield the next day, trailer never found crew had to be picked up not good. Then we got a nice little keypad so you had to enter a code to drive off. Either someone forgot to enter the code when moving the truck or better yet didn't remember the code in the first place. That's the problem with others driving your vehicles

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I agree with Doc for what you have in mind for the truck.

I'm a landscape contractor as well (visit my website in my profile if you want) and the next 1 ton dually 4x4 I buy is going to be a gas. Likely a Chevrolet 6.0.

The return isn't there for diesel anymore. The 09 D-max gets less than 10mpg with the emissions equipment on it. It costs more to buy, costs more to run.

Even the lower priced Dodges aren't penciling out like a diesel truck used to.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Holy crap dude...Chevy this and Chevy that...maybe a Chev site would suit you better.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
In the city on the summer mowing route it is not a good idea to let them run, my Dodge diesel was found in a cornfield the next day, trailer never found crew had to be picked up not good. Then we got a nice little keypad so you had to enter a code to drive off. Either someone forgot to enter the code when moving the truck or better yet didn't remember the code in the first place. That's the problem with others driving your vehicles

Oh then that kinda changes things a little doesn't it?! LOL

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
In America one has the freedom to own whatever the hell brand truck they want to own.

Absolutely...just like wearing whatever hat they choose...but the last time I checked, this was a Ford Truck site.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Easy boys don't make me put on my mod hat here!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Easy boys don't make me put on my mod hat here!

Sorry Doc....I was just getting a bit tired of the Chev word...unless of course it is to document the shortcomings...:rofl: :rofl:

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
There was a time in my life when I bought new things for my use, now it's more of what will work best for myself(bills) and everyone who works for us.

I hear ya! Just one of the "perks" of owning I guess huh! LOL

Ford hasn't made a 1 ton diesel worth a **** since 2002. Not my fault.

Our 1996 F-Super Duty is still going after all these years. I sold it to my Hardscape contractor and after he rebuilt the bottom end at 148K it now has 327K mi on it hauling a big Bobkitty. Thats pretty good by me. And several of my friends have 2002, 03 05 etc that work just fine.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Our 1996 F-Super Duty is still going after all these years. I sold it to my Hardscape contractor and after he rebuilt the bottom end at 148K it now has 327K mi on it hauling a big Bobkitty. Thats pretty good by me

Agreed...I've never had an issue with the 350's we've had.

I was referring to pre 2002 1 tons with the 6.9 IDI, 7.3IDI, 7.3 Powerstroke being the good trucks. The 6.0 and 6.4 suck.

Duramax Allison has been a good combination for us. About 200K fairly trouble free miles per unit. Had nearly a dozen of the things.

Used to get 16mpg average. Now with the emissions crap my newest units are getting less than 10.

For the money, I'm switching to gas units.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
rickpilgrim said:
Our 1996 F-Super Duty is still going after all these years. I sold it to my Hardscape contractor and after he rebuilt the bottom end at 148K it now has 327K mi on it hauling a big Bobkitty. Thats pretty good by me. And several of my friends have 2002, 03 05 etc that work just fine.

The only problem I have is the low end torque. or lack there of. Now that being said I am going to lay out there that I am a cummins kid through and through. I love the inline motor even on a gasser. But I love the way the ford looks over the dodge any day of the week.

Inlines are cool nodoubt. I just cannot justify the extra order time and cost for getting into another Dodge.
And as far as torque goes I have a 509 cid modified gas engine in a dually that outruns most diesels also. But in the land of towing all gas engines I have get around 10 mpg. Diesel used to be much better.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Yeah i would say I am not a fan of ANY newer diesels I love the 12V cummins I would say the older ford TD's were decent too, but never have been a fan of the chev's diesels. don't know why but just never really cared for em.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts