Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Wheel spacers, recommendations?

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Hey guys, hope you're having a great holiday season so far. I'm in need of some wheel spacers for my stock 8 lugs. Any suggestions on what manufacturer/type?

Thanks!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Any particular reason for running spacers?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
We run spacers on Erica's Mustang, but it's because the wheels we were gifted were for a 2005-2009 Mustang, and it would have made the wheels too tucked in. The wheel offset in those accommodates a longer suspension arm and hub assembly. Having said that, there are legitimate purposes for spacers.

The brand is unknown, they sold them as "Billet Aluminum Spacers" but they have had no issues, the bolts don't come loose and everything operates as it should.

Ryan

460Trucker

Yes, my front brake calipers are touching the wheels just enough that they are beginning to make noise. Turns out that was the answer to the mystery squeak problem I have been having. My mechanic said I just need some thin ones up front. I see now that they come in various widths as well.

460Trucker

Do you not have stock wheels? I've never really noticed..

I do, I've had slight squeaks here and there but its built up to an ear-splitting screech that ruins the whole atmosphere of the truck. I've had someone call me asking if something was wrong with the truck after I drove by them. I decided to run wider tires so I think that's why the issue is more prominent now.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I have 2" spacers all around my 77 because of the flares the po installed. ...wheels didn't fill the wells right. I forget the brand but I did research and got what I felt was the best. I can see if I can pull the p/w.

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Stock wheels shouldnt hit the calipers. you could always just grind the spot its hitting.....

460Trucker

The mechanic said he didn't think they were stock wheels. I was pretty dang sure they were. They do have the Ford logo imprinted on the rear caps. Here's a picture for confirmation (Note: its an old pic, before the lights and paint restoration)

tires_zpsdf51b377.jpg

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Mike first ide raise the vehicle and spin the wheels,see if you can determine where the rub is located.if you feel you need to go with spacers...Check out summit racings "Eibach wheel spacers" these come in different widths according to your needs and are made from aluminum alloy.Mr Gasket and Cal custom brands are also available however less quality of a spacer.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
I do, I've had slight squeaks here and there but its built up to an ear-splitting screech that ruins the whole atmosphere of the truck. I've had someone call me asking if something was wrong with the truck after I drove by them. I decided to run wider tires so I think that's why the issue is more prominent now.

Hi Mike :)

Read your posts and came up with a few things,
One, if you put larger tires on a rim, it doesn't change the rim, so if the rim is rubbing on the calipers it's either not the stock rim or maybe someone has upgraded the front brakes to larger calipers?
This rubbing should not be happening with a stock set up
When you pulled off the tires, did the calipers show signs of rubbing damage? Same for a visual on the rim. Hope this helps :wavey:

460Trucker

Mike first ide raise the vehicle and spin the wheels,see if you can determine where the rub is located.if you feel you need to go with spacers...Check out summit racings "Eibach wheel spacers" these come in different widths according to your needs and are made from aluminum alloy.Mr Gasket and Cal custom brands are also available however less quality of a spacer.

Me and the mechanic got the truck up on a jack (its true, I dont have one yet haha), spun the wheels and saw that the calipers were making slight contact on the wheel. He recommended spacers so I'm probably going to purchase a set. Thanks for the recommendations!

I've had to grind the calipers on a previous truck I had, when I put some alloy wheels on it.

When you grind the calipers, does that effect how they operate or their lifespan?

Hi Mike :)

Read your posts and came up with a few things,
One, if you put larger tires on a rim, it doesn't change the rim, so if the rim is rubbing on the calipers it's either not the stock rim or maybe someone has upgraded the front brakes to larger calipers?
This rubbing should not be happening with a stock set up
When you pulled off the tires, did the calipers show signs of rubbing damage? Same for a visual on the rim. Hope this helps :wavey:

You could definitely see wearing when we got the truck up. It was in a fairly even pattern too. Thanks for the ideas Roy! :wavey:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Grinding the calipers works well, no it won't hurt the calipers as long you don't go too deep.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Those are factory ford Alcoas. They are not aftermarket, and should not be hitting the calipers. Ive had new calipers hit wheels due to crappy calipers. Maybe the wheel bearings are lose and the wheel is tilting and hitting the caliper. I run those wheels on my 91 and no issues. Plenty of room for the calipers.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech

460Trucker

That truck looks so good! I'm going to bank on it being a caliper issue then, I know the brakes were totally redone before I bought it. They are absolutely immaculate under there.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
you may want to locate stock used calipars then have them rebuilt which is very cost effective....through my experiences with the discount auto stores the castings are completly different from Ford originals and could be the issue...Grant it grinding them may work..but I wouldnt do it myself and i am experienced in the field...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts