Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

You'd think I'm a full-time detailer or something...

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
My Aunt's youngest son is learning to drive, go a head and conclude that he hit something. Pulled the passenger mirror over the front fender and hood while backing out of the driveway.

AUSTIN TO THE RESCUE!! smilieFordlogo

2012-08-04_16-03-39_950.jpg

2012-08-04_16-03-46_705.jpg

2012-08-04_16-27-37_477.jpg

2012-08-04_16-27-44_670.jpg

2012-08-04_16-27-50_173.jpg

The whole process is something of 15 minutes.

1. Wash the surface
2. Clay bar
3. Meguiar's Heavy Cut Compound on foam pad (this step takes all of the scuffs and scratches out)
4. Meguiar's Fine Cut Compound on foam pad (this step cuts down the scratches of the first compound. Think of it as following up with a finer sand paper)
5. Meguiar's Ultimate Polish on foam polishing pad

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Damn Austin...your work and simplistic explanations of buffing truly inspire me.

Looks Good Austin - silly question but i have never seen clay bar before - how does it work?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Austin said:
My Aunt's youngest son is learning to drive, go a head and conclude that he hit something. Pulled the passenger mirror over the front fender and hood while backing out of the driveway.

AUSTIN TO THE RESCUE!! smilieFordlogo

The whole process is something of 15 minutes.

1. Wash the surface
2. Clay bar
3. Meguiar's Heavy Cut Compound on foam pad (this step takes all of the scuffs and scratches out)
4. Meguiar's Fine Cut Compound on foam pad (this step cuts down the scratches of the first compound. Think of it as following up with a finer sand paper)
5. Meguiar's Ultimate Polish on foam polishing pad

Dang...that's amazing!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Thanks fellas!

Mark - essentially, a clay bar is used (with a pray lubricant) to pull contaminants out of the paint that washing just can't do. Using the clay bar prior to buffing allows a dirt free paint to perform the work on. If clay isn't used, specially on a daily driver like this car, the junk in the paint can reduce the quality of the final product.

It's also good to clay a vehicle every now and then to keep the paint smooth and clean, as well as before waxing.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g1016-smooth-surfacereg-clay-kit/

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Nice... very nice. If you worked for us at Hertz, we'd keep you busy full-time just with the airport returns.

I'm glad you said that. Is detailing/refurbishing something Hertz does in-house?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Nice job Austin, the guy I went to Montana with the other day brought back a pile of Meguiars products and a Porter Cable polisher, I am waiting on the results.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Thanks Duncers. I love the Meguiar's products; they work great for what I do without breaking the bank.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I can usually knock out 4 or 5 full details before calling it a day. Most of the work I do is performed by machine, so my arms might be a little sure at the end of a long day.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Pretty much what goes on is the severity of the scratches is decreased with each step, ending with the polish. From that point on, if the car is washed properly, you won't see any scratches.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
It's still removing clear, so caution must be used in order to not burn through. Pros have meters that gauge paint depth.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Thanks fellas!

Mark - essentially, a clay bar is used (with a pray lubricant) to pull contaminants out of the paint that washing just can't do. Using the clay bar prior to buffing allows a dirt free paint to perform the work on. If clay isn't used, specially on a daily driver like this car, the junk in the paint can reduce the quality of the final product.

It's also good to clay a vehicle every now and then to keep the paint smooth and clean, as well as before waxing.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g1016-smooth-surfacereg-clay-kit/

Would like to see this on your detailing thread.....

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I have a paint gauge nothing but a little magent in a tube with a ruler. The thickens of the paint lessens the pull of the magnet showing the mills of the paint or putty.

Ford Truck Articles