Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

360 rebuild cost vs crate?

I have a 360 out of a '73 F-250 CS. I am trying to figure out if it will be more cost effective to rebuild or buy a crate engine. I don't want anything special just a daily driver that will be able to pull a tailor ok. Any thoughts?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
depends on whats good... wont get much, id say tear it down to the short block, and see how the cyl's look... if they are in good shape sell it as a complete long block, probably get more money that way..

why you wanting a new engine?

i want it to run good, im wanting to make this truck my daily driver. I need the block machined ( no cracks in the block i could see). new rings, pistons look ok but a lot of deposits on them. i know things like oil pump, cam, water pump and such are a good thing to replace while the engine is apart so im wondering if its gonna cost so much that it would make more sense to just get a crate.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I'd price a 460 while I was at it. Don't know about crate motors, but they seem to run about the same used as the other variations, and should bolt right in.

rod and main bearings, piston rings,oil pump,pistons if bad,cam,all seals and gaskets. bored out a lil if blocks worn or just honed if its in pretty good shape.You dnt need to replace intake, unless you're wanting a performance one. also any work on heads that needs to be done.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Id get the heads gone through with hardened seats and new springs. Machine work depends on the bore of the cylinders if theyre not egged out then itll be cheap to have it power honed otherwise theyll probly bore it out 30 thousandths and then youll have to buy new pistons.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts