Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Header Detailing

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Hi Men Im currently looking for some "Less expensive" cures for my 79's Hooker Headers.In my intitial installation i preped and painted them with the high heat paint..Well that lasted about an hour after fireup :headbang:

Now i was looking into the jet coating process...it is pricey to do and i would have to ship the headers to another state to have it done...But having to had to order new 460 swap engine mts has cut into that budget and I will not fund a project with priorital funds living on a fixed income.the headers are still very solid but getting rusty...appreciate any and all suggestions...Thank you!

smilieFordlogo

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
My headers were starting to get a little spotty and was just going to replace them with some high end shiny ones I've asked for before somewhere on here....just haven't gotten to it with all that's been going on.....need extensions and some other things also.....but before I decided to do that, I was thinking of using this stuff:

http://www.eastwood.com/calyx-manifold-coating.html

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Not sure how well that works on anything but cast iron that is perfectly clean...I know guys that have used that on steel headers and it flakes.

If you have a good set of headers, you might want to look into ceramic coating...more $ for sure, but will last for years.

BuzzGun79

Not sure how well that works on anything but cast iron that is perfectly clean...I know guys that have used that on steel headers and it flakes.

If you have a good set of headers, you might want to look into ceramic coating...more $ for sure, but will last for years.

Understood Duncan..after reading...cast iron vs steel.. definitly will investigate before buying..My headers are pretty solid...just ugly..ill check into the ceramic as well, i want to do it right this time,and ol Buzz will find a way...Thank you!

BuzzGun79

VHT brand header/manifold paint... Used it on more than one truck and it lasts really well. Waaaaay better than any other "high heat" paint I ever tried. They all burn off in a few days. I have VHT on my 87 suburban and its been 4 years so far and they look like the day I did them.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/flameproof/

Could you post a pic at your convienance Matt ?...sure would like to see your results. Thank You!!

BuzzGun79

Ok after some carefull thinking and consideration...Ive Made a Decision on the Headers.....

Hooker_Super_Comp_Headers.JPG

We will go with the.......

VHT_HEADER_HEAT_PAINT.JPG

I have not heard one bad thing about this product from my sources as well!
Just wander if Kimmy will let me bake them in the oven.........hmmmm on second thought maybe we will just cure them once their back on the vehicle...

First we strip and remove all paint/rust...Give the pipes a good sanding.clean with a prepping agent......

Bolts_Headers_ect_007.JPG

The photo above i did a test on the pipe to the far left..I must say Light coats only this stuff runs very easily

Now that i got the hang of it.... we will finish painting the pipes

Bolts_Headers_ect_008.JPG

To be continued.....

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Both you guys have awesome trucks!! and it's great that you drive them, there's no harm done driving a show quality truck as long as you respect it,

Agreed......I mean, in the end, it's a hunk of metal and a machine with moving parts....so the wear and tear is INEVITABLE......the only way to keep in show condition for its life is to keep it in a climate controlled environment and NEVER drive it......WHAT'S THE USE? Might as well have an expensive painting.....driving my rig around town doing bank and coffee errands is one my favorite things to do!

I'm careful with it, don't drive it in the salt ridden winter roads up here (if I was in the south, I'd use it every day), and take care of it.....it'll still be in incredible condition when I pass it down to Brett!

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Make sure you bake the headers after painted or only let the engine fire and run for a couple minutes then cool off...

Should have exact instructions on can of paint.. It'll make it last..

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

BuzzGun79

AND ME......smiliepeelout smilieFordlogo

Lol Ken! smiliepeelout

Both you guys have awesome trucks!! and it's great that you drive them, there's no harm done driving a show quality truck as long as you respect it,

Agreed......I mean, in the end, it's a hunk of metal and a machine with moving parts....so the wear and tear is INEVITABLE......the only way to keep in show condition for its life is to keep it in a climate controlled environment and NEVER drive it......WHAT'S THE USE? Might as well have an expensive painting.....driving my rig around town doing bank and coffee errands is one my favorite things to do!

I'm careful with it, don't drive it in the salt ridden winter roads up here (if I was in the south, I'd use it every day), and take care of it.....it'll still be in incredible condition when I pass it down to Brett!

Agreed! Thank you!!

Pick up an old used oven and bake them in that. Then resell the oven.

Well Mark...really have no extra space living in a single wide modular...Ill bake them with the engine following the directions...VHT Gives that option as well...

Make sure you bake the headers after painted or only let the engine fire and run for a couple minutes then cool off...

Should have exact instructions on can of paint.. It'll make it last..

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

Yes Chris also on the website link Matt posted..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts