Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help!!!!!!

Suppose I should elaborate on my problem LOL OK, I have a 79 F-150 and I am trying to figure out exactly what engine I have. I do know for a fact it is not the 351W, I beleive it to be a 351C Or M, but, it might be another beast all together. The vin plate for the door is wrong as it is a replacement door from a 75, I did find a tag/plate on the firewall but can find no info regarding it at all. All I can figure out is the year, and where it was made. I did find a sticker on the hood that says engine family and it reads : engine family 5.8 M/6.6 "B". I did look on the heads for some clues but there is no raised 2 or 4 on them. HELP!!!!

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
It's gonna be either a 351M or 400. Only way to know for sure is measure stroke..

Windsors didn't come to the trucks till 82, and the Cleveland's were only built 70-74, and never were put in trucks..

OK, so there is no other way to tell except measure stroke? I have a plate that I found on the firewall but dont know how to decipher anything but part of the vin. I have a pic of it if that would help.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Look at the bolts on the fuel pump. If the bolts are located at the top and bottom of the pump, it is a 351M/400. Any other beast would be side to side bolts on the fuel pump.

There are no external differences between the 351M and 400.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
If the fuel pump bolts are side to side, it will be neither of the three: 351C, 351M, or 400.

You can also tell what the engine is by the number of valve cover bolts, but I can't recall what the configurations are: I don't have access to my manual right now.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Just need to do a EGR delete and a straight up timing set.. Then it'll be perfectly serviceable fr a long time. Some of them have issues with heads cracking but I wouldn't worry..

But we do joke that they're boat anchors..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
There is nothing wrong with the 351M/400's..they respond just like any other engine. Check out T Meyer Inc....
Here are the numbers on a mild 400:
http://www.tmeyerinc.com/400Fordpg4.htm

I'm doing a little more than that and will wind up with an engine that will weigh in the neighborhood of 400lbs and will make 525-550 hp/tq...not bad for a "boat anchor" :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts