Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help!!!!!!

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN

:) haha

3F9DD90D-C795-495E-B506-2FC61222455D-19525-00001D3A6BB4A2CA_zps494f107e.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'll spank your 302 with my anchor smilietease

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Unlikely...heads are the same technology and I have 4WD :wavey:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I dont know why Ford had to make things so damned complicated with this particular engine. LOL

On the sticker below where it says 351/400 engine family there should be reference to the actual engine displacement you have.

sizeimage.php

.unless the engine is not original
Take pic of the sticker for me.
They are alike b/c they share all external parts ..measure stroke or be assured the engine is original.

Last edited:
On the sticker below where it says 351/400 engine family there should be reference to the actual engine displacement you have.

sizeimage.php

.unless the engine is not original
Take pic of the sticker for me.
They are alike b/c they share all external parts ..measure stroke or be assured the engine is original.

This is exactly how the sticker reads: engine family 5.8 M/6.6 "B"

OK. How good would a 429 out of a bus be? Sorry for so many questions but, I am reformed Chevy guy. LOL

Not good at all as it is not an 385 series engine but a special industrial engine.

They have different transmission bolt patterns for one thing

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Not good at all as it is not an 385 series engine but a special industrial engine.

They have different transmission bolt patterns for one thing

Can you show pics of the differences?

This is exactly how the sticker reads: engine family 5.8 M/6.6 "B"

Like I said READ UNDER THOSE THOSE NUMBERS

and see

Engine Displacement = 351M (5.8L)
or
Engine displacement + 400 (6.6L)

Can you show pics of the differences?

I remembered this thread

The 370 has a 4.05 bore and 3.59 stroke.
The 429 has a 4.360 bore and 3.59 stroke.
The 460 has a 4.360 bore and 3.85 stroke.

As you know, the 370/429 med. truck engines are considerably different from the 429/460 passenger car/light truck engines. The front timing cover/front dress is completely different, and it's not a simple bolt-on (I'm assuming you have a front-mounted compressor). In addition, the flywheel end of the crank probably is different. You also have different oil pans, pumps, and pickups.

The 370 engines do have hardened seats. I don't recall for certain about the sodium-filled exhaust valves, but it's quite possible as FoMoCo frequently did this for HD engines; if nothing else they have oversize stems.

Any 460 made after '71 has induction-hardened exhaust seats as well; when you look at the seat, it has a distinctly different color. It's part of the head and you won't see the parting line like you would if it was an insert. The exhaust valves are conventional.

In answer to your direct question, "Will I burn the valves up?", there's not really a direct answer. I know of several medium trucks that have had 460s swapped in. The results have varied, but in each case it's hard to say what they started with. It also depends a great deal on how you drive and what you do with the truck. If it is always heavily loaded, or used on a lot of hills, or used under conditions where you are experiencing high EGTs, I would recommend at least using a very good stainless exhaust valve...at the minimum NK-842 alloy, and better yet something like Manley's XH-428 alloy. They aren't cheap at around $190/set for the 8 exhaust valves, but they are cheap insurance. The stock Ford 460 valves are two-piece and inclined to pop their heads off when you least need that problem. As long as you were replacing the valves, I personally would remove the Thermactor bosses in the exhaust ports and fill the Thermactor passages.

So far as making the 460 work with what's in the truck in terms of the compressor, if any, and the transmission, you're on your own. You will have to get the correct pilot bearing. I believe the front cover from the 370 will interchange, as will the pan, pickup, and oil pump (which I would replace anyway). If you don't have a compressor, you might not need to swap covers...you'd know better than I. The balancer does not interchange, though...the 370 & 429 truck engines use a larger diameter crank snout to withstand the extra load of the air brake compressor. If the 460 balancer is smaller on its hub external diameter, you would have to machine a spacer ring to make it work with the 370 cover and seal.

You will want to use a 460 flywheel. The 460 is internally balanced through '78 and externally balanced after that. The flywheels are different for each; the balancer is the same, but the early engines use a simple spacer behind the balancer while the post '78 engines use a "hatchet" spacer. I don't recall how the 370 is balanced. At least some of the 370 engines have weird flywheel flanges and I have no idea what you would need to do there. It's quite possible that the 460 flywheel will not have a hole pattern for your clutch/pressure plate, so it may need to be redrilled.

In my opinion, for whatever that's worth, it's not worth the trouble and expense to swap them. If the truck doesn't have the compressor or anything else driven off the crank, it might not be too bad to swap in the 460, knowing that it might last forever, and might last a year (without any mods). I wouldn't swap the 370 into anything. Ever. The truck 429 isn't horribly bad as a low-rpm, high torque engine...and I suppose it might be interesting swapping one into a rock crawler, with the compressor all ready to use....though I could get better results with a lot less weight with something else...but the 370 is an underpowered, inefficient, gas-guzzling POS, with the disadvantages of the Super Duty engines it replaced (401/477/534), but none of their advantages. To me, its big advantage for you, right now, is that it's in there, and it's running.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473445

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, here is the sticker.
showphoto.php

You have what was originally an 351M going by the sticker which could be wrong if the engine was replaced.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
My 78 has the fuel pump bolts above each other, so I have a 351M / 400 in mine, if that is how yours is, then you have the same motor that I have which would be the 351M / 400 it's like what fatherdoug was saying that is what makes the 351M / 400 different from the other Ford engines where the other engines the fuel pump bolts were side by side, and the 77 F350 dually I had the same fuel pump bolt layout as my 78 so I also had the 351M / 400 in that as well. Also count your valve cover bolts as fatherdoug was saying that could help you differentiate your engine from everything else that Ford offered.

We were discussing whether it was a 351M or a 400.
Not the difference between other engines.

We are just waiting for the OP to show up and reply to my IN-DEPTH info.

Ford Truck Articles