Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hemi's

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
dont lockers mess with turning on pavement?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTL-225SL56A/

These Eaton Detroit Lockers are designed to maximize traction by delivering 100 percent of the torque and power to both drive wheels. They are engineered to keep both wheels in a constant drive mode and have the ability to automatically allow wheel speed differentiation when required ... IE Turning..

These Eaton Detroit Lockers are designed to maximize traction by delivering 100 percent of the torque and power to both drive wheels. They are engineered to keep both wheels in a constant drive mode and have the ability to automatically allow wheel speed differentiation when required ... IE Turning..

Thats a realy good price too. Thanks a lot for the link! ill have to get one and rebuild my rear end this summer. would this be good for the front end too?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

Detroit lockers are bullet proof, but they are "Non-selectable", for a selectable locker you need to go with an ARB air locker.

Problem with a non-selectable locker is they are tricky to drive on slick roads (ie, ice, snow etc), also lockers are a bad deal if you tow. Lockers have a lot of draw backs for a DD vehicle. Reason OEM use an LS unit is so they do not lose driveability for a DD. If you want the best of both an LS & locker then you need to go with a "selectable" locker. ARB air locker is about $750-800 plus you need a compressor.

www.arbusa.com/Products/Air-Lockers/10.aspx

Don't see why not.. BUT you might be better off w/ a arb, ox, or E-locker up front though.. jmho

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
If ya do alot of heavy four wheelin it is otherwise just the rear will be plenty. Id personally get a selectable one from eaton the ones they have that are selectable are electric but theres other manufacturers that have air operated and cable operated.

Last edited:
Ok so i have a lot of choices. I guess what i should figure out is what i want to even use this truck for to see what rear end would suite it

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Ok so i have a lot of choices. I guess what i should figure out is what i want to even use this truck for to see what rear end would suite it

That and your budget would be a good starting point.YelloThumbUp

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Whats wrong with just getting a good Limited slip?

Not a thing, Mike it just matters what the use of the vehicle is for. For a street DD an LS is usually the best answer and most economical. If you want to be able to off-road seriously then you are better off with a selectable locker. With a selectable locker locked, both wheels are turning no matter what the traction conditions, an LS has limitations in certain slippery environments. If you are going to run a drag or dirt track car then a spool is the way to go but then you can't drive it on the street.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Not a thing, Mike it just matters what the use of the vehicle is for. For a street DD an LS is usually the best answer and most economical. If you want to be able to off-road seriously then you are better off with a selectable locker. With a selectable locker locked, both wheels are turning no matter what the traction conditions, an LS has limitations in certain slippery environments. If you are going to run a drag or dirt track car then a spool is the way to go but then you can't drive it on the street.

YelloThumbUp YelloThumbUp

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I will be using an ARB for the 79.

i may just get posi trac. i know theres an f250 near my home that i can buy the rear end off of. i basicly want to do bad *** burn outs to show off to my buddies but i still want to do road trips in this truck. another plus side is the rear end i am thinking of is like new and a lot cheaper than locking my rear end which is perfect for a teenager like me ha.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts