Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hemi's

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If doing burnouts is a primary function, then a Detroit Locker would be your best option between price, function and reliabilty.

ok ha ha ill probably look more into those. as long as i can go highway speed with no issues it will be great. this truck will never tow again, and the most brutal things i will do is hittin the dirt and showing off.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
yeah that wouldnt be good. ive never had anything with posi trac so i didnt think bout that. i just realy hate my one wheel wonder.

FYI, "posi-traction" has become a generic term for an LS, but it was and is the Chevrolet/GM trade name for an LS.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Ford is trac loc I believe.

That is generally how it is abreviated, full name is Traction-Lok. Jeep had a Trac-Lok and International a Trak-Lok IIRC.

Ford's OEM "Traction-Lok" would be better named Traction Loss. They are a pretty lame excuse for an LS.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
The one in my 85 is great we did swap the rear end out of a 77 though. In the snow that thing drives like its on rails.

Glad it is working out for you. The Ford LS just does not have much locking power and the clutches wear very quickly.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Hmm maybe its been gone through before I have no idea what the previous owner did to that 77 we pulled it out of. Its a 9 inch if that makes any differnce.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Also if Terrell's truck is 4wd an LS in the front wouldn't hurt either.....

I dunno about that for day to day driving...handling becomes dicey...if I lock the front diff in the big truck, turning is really out of the question.

Now with my trucks current rear end set up i can jack it up and spin a wheel as fast as i can and the other wheel wil maybe flinch in the opposite direction. is there something messed up in it?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
True true...sorry Duncan not used to snowy/icey roads. I'm thinking in terms of offroad capability. Seeing a truck get stuck because only one will is pulling (and it's the one that's off the ground) irritates me.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
True true...sorry Duncan not used to snowy/icey roads. I'm thinking in terms of offroad capability. Seeing a truck get stuck because only one will is pulling (and it's the one that's off the ground) irritates me.

Providing one front wheel was off the ground it would be great but
in the mud if you have both front wheels turning and the steering wheel turned, you will tend to go straight forward...the front would be where an air locker would be really cool.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
ohhh sorry I Misread that terrell...yea when you spin one tire while the back on the truck is jacked up and the other tire spins the opposite direction you've got an open rear end....in other words a one wheel wonder.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I live in nevada. and yeah if the opposite wheel from the other moves it goes the opposite direction or it seemed to when i was messin with it.

If you spin one back wheel one way, the other one should go in the opposite direction if the vehicle is up on jackstands and in neutral.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts