Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Look Ma, No Brakes!...the pucker factor

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
This winter they (on the news) talked about using beet juice, but I can't for sure tell you if that was in the pretreat process.

Winner winner Chicken Dinner
It is beet juice mixed with a deicer said to make it stick to the road and not fly off with traffic. It just sticks it on your under carriage causing it to rust 10X as fast.:headbang:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Yup. And it eats the trucks that spray it. They bought that truck to do just that, and it lasts 1 season. When they are spraying, it leaves a cloud 20' in the air!

I've been meaning to post pictures of the old 'groady corrodie' brake pads. I kept putting off throwing them away because I wanted to post pictures of them.... I think they were due for replacement... :rolleyes:

5-31-2012001Large.jpg

5-31-2012002Large.jpg

They were so rusted the pad was losing its bond and breaking away...

5-31-2012003Large.jpg

Rear

5-31-2012004Large.jpg

5-31-2012005Large.jpg

5-31-2012006Large.jpg

5-31-2012007Large.jpg

5-31-2012008Large.jpg

5-31-2012009Large.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
Ahhh, heck, they weren't to the metal yet, you still had pad left! ;)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Aren't they supposed to have a little "wear indicator" to make gawdawful noises before they get quite that worn?

Or did you do like my college roommate used to (may still) and take the whole mess apart to break that strip off, then reassemble with the worn-out components for another 5-10k miles?

Fellro

Staff member
I have seen those rust off. Also, unfortunately not all pads come with them.

Hahahaha....nooo Ian, I didn't remove the 'squeekers'... I just can't believe how some of the chassis components are so rusted. Overall, this Expedition is in nice condition with no body rust and for the most part, no chassis corrosion type rust.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Interesting pic of that brake line Brad, brought back a memory of something similar that happened to me.
I had a 1977 F250, pulled into my back pad at home, hit the brakes and the pedal went straight to the floor...turned out to be a very similar situation to what you had...metal line in the frame had rusted through from salt and mud, I think about 6-8'' was paper thin.
Haven't thought about that in 20+ years!

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
I was almost home yesterday afternoon during 'pre-rush hour' when as I approached a signaled intersection the light started changing. As I started applying the brakes and began slowing, something let go and the pedal went to the floor. I was on a slight downhill grade. I was traveling maaaaaybe 30mph and had planned to make a left anyway. Luckily there was nobody ahead of me in that lane and cross traffic had not started to move as I went through the intersection on the red. The turn helped scrub off some of the speed. I then pulled the transmission selector into the L range and brought it to a crawl. Since I was then on a side street and not far from the house, that's the way I brought it on home.

At this time, I've not really looked any further about what let loose other than stick my head under it to see fluid dripping off of the frame in front of the right rear wheel. I'll check it out later today.

Over all of the years of my driving, I've driven vehicles with varying degrees of braking capability, some questionable. But until now never have I had the brake failure I experienced yesterday. The 'what ifs' are haunting.....

That was a pretty scary story!! Once I did have the opposite... I drove my old Landrover 1962 and engaged the brakes... No problem, the truck stopped.. but the brakepedal did not came back again!! It was close to home, so I engaged lowgear/4WD and really pulled the truck thru the brakes home! What happened? A half year before I did filled the brakefuildreservoir up.... with ATF!! Stupd fool that I was!! All the pistonseals were grown!! ATF is definetly NOT the same as Dot3/4!!

best regards Ton

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Those old Land Rovers were the only vehicle you could count on to break down and STILL get you home, ever time you left the driveway...

Fellro

Staff member
That was a pretty scary story!! Once I did have the opposite... I drove my old Landrover 1962 and engaged the brakes... No problem, the truck stopped.. but the brakepedal did not came back again!! It was close to home, so I engaged lowgear/4WD and really pulled the truck thru the brakes home! What happened? A half year before I did filled the brakefuildreservoir up.... with ATF!! Stupd fool that I was!! All the pistonseals were grown!! ATF is definetly NOT the same as Dot3/4!!

best regards Ton

I have had to fix behind 2 other cases this happened... one was an old hydrovac system, the other abs...

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
Those old Land Rovers were the only vehicle you could count on to break down and STILL get you home, ever time you left the driveway...

Definetly!!! I drove home twice with a blown cilinderheadgasket and still limping home safe. I owned the Landie 21 years and 250000kilometers and the only things that broke, were a startermotor, a battery a clutchslavecilinder and twice a gasket. I revved the engine wel; she got her filters and oil changed on the right moment and she keept going... the reason I,ve sold her, was the frameworks was rotten.. (not to bad for a 48 year old girl..) The guy who bought it. is restoring her and he is happy. I'm happy with my Ford now.....

best regards ton

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts