Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Vehicle Identification

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Some of ya'll may know that my driver's side door has been replaced. When it was removed, the wonderful tag of knowledge wasn't transferred to the new door. So, other than waiting on Ford to get a build sheet off of my VIN, what tags are on the truck for factory ID and such?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
You know one of these guys may be able to help you decode the VIN...

Ryan

havi

third member
Well, the VIN is on your title, so there's a start. Then it's a matter of finding another truck with the same trans and axle codes, and GVWR, as yours and copying them. If you have a Chiltons, Haynes, or even a LMC catalog, you can see what the plate/sticker looks like. Knowing what trans and axle ratio you have, you can figure out the matching code.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Huh? How are you getting a build sheet from Ford if you don't have the right VIN? Are you relying on the VIN on your title? The only way to be sure what your VIN is now is check for the VIN on the top rail of the frame on the passenger side...usually further back than the shock. That being said, I've got the metal tag that's riveted to my door...and a white 'laminated' piece on the door jamb. Then you'll be looking for BOM tags on the axle. But axles have a way of being swapped in and out or the tag isn't there...so it'll be difficult finding out what was supposed to be stock.

All that said...pull any and all numbers/codes you can find and some of us might have the right books to decode them...or Dennis probably has them memorized.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Huh? How are you getting a build sheet from Ford if you don't have the right VIN? Are you relying on the VIN on your title? The only way to be sure what your VIN is now is check for the VIN on the top rail of the frame on the passenger side...usually further back than the shock. That being said, I've got the metal tag that's riveted to my door...and a white 'laminated' piece on the door jamb. Then you'll be looking for BOM tags on the axle. But axles have a way of being swapped in and out or the tag isn't there...so it'll be difficult finding out what was supposed to be stock.

All that said...pull any and all numbers/codes you can find and some of us might have the right books to decode them...or Dennis probably has them memorized.

The state of Georgia issued a separate VIN tag that sits in the door jamb. I don't have the tag that has the other info on it...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
It says on the bottom: State of Georgia Dept. of Revenue

2mdf30x.jpg

(I included a second for clarification)
2sbmoli.jpg

Here is where the door tag should be
2w3dmae.jpg

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Wow I thought it was illegal to remove the Vin tag, but your state does it !

Built in Nofolk. Must be a good one

Any difference for the Norfolk like?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Funny thing was , it was the most productive plant but the first to be shut down.

That's funny. (That's for you, Ben) :rofl:

havi

third member
Funny thing was , it was the most productive plant but the first to be shut down.

Tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

78RatingPlate2.jpg

Look behind the air cleaner on the firewall.

You will see a metal buck tag holding some wire loom

That Buck tag has some info on it.

TruckAirCleaner.jpg

Last edited:
knowing what group of numbers is what helps , but how do you figure out what those codes mean ? I still have my factory door tag so would like to know whats what !
As for the state issued vin tag , I've lived in NH and ME and they only do that for rebuilt vehicles . Previously crashed or stolen ! Not shore if all states are the same .

owndog, i have all the corresponding info to those codes.

Ford Truck Articles