Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Yet another, 79 F-350 restoration

Well I finally got the truck home about 2 weeks ago. I have been slowly going at it. Some pics to bring it up to speed here.

As many of you know this truck came out of Ca. It is a 79 F-350 4x4 with 49K miles. I am at the start of stripping it down to get it ready for paint.

What it looked like when I got it.
img_0487.jpg

img_8489.jpg

img_8492.jpg

Pulling out some unnecessary wiring.
img_8498.jpg

This will need attention at some time. Looks like and sounds like he tried to do an exhaust leak patch that failed. Gotta love the custom heat sheild for the plug wires. If you look closely you can see the duct tape holding the power steering cap on.
img_8497.jpg

Got rid of the camper brackets. Holes will be welded up. Not sure which way I'm going to go with the spot lights yet. I think once they are cleaned good and shining with chrome they might look pretty good on it.
img_8499.jpg

Gutting the interior.
img_8500.jpg

Already going at it with the DA. At one time the original silver was painted over with white.
img_8507.jpg

Pulled the trim from the passenger side.
img_8508.jpg

Restored the tool box lock.
img_8509.jpg

He also custom painted part of the dash for me. Need to pull it out completely to repaint. I like how the radio bracket was just bent out of the way for whatever reason and in doing so busted the lower mount brackets for the heater controls.
img_8514.jpg

And some work I got done today. Plan on more sanding tomorrow.

1st thing to do was get rid of that topper. Nice to see they make/made those toppers with the help of some cardboard.
img_0495.jpg

Looks much better already without it.

img_0494.jpg

Sprayed a little black on her so I could get an idea how it would look. All I really did was make more work for myself. Should of just looked at the Bronco.

img_0493.jpg

img_0496.jpg

Taking this one down to bare metal as well. Don't have any idea what kind of paint he used when he did the camo job plus I don't think the white had good adhesion.
img_0497.jpg

And the whole reason I buy trucks/Bronco's from CA. Finding rust free wheel wells like this on a 79 is next to impossible. Good thing I don't live in Cali, I'd either be broke or divorced because I would buy a ton of these trucks.

img_0498.jpg

Found the original silver under the tailgate aluminum pieces.

img_8494.jpg

Stripped the paint off one of the panels. I'll have to respray the original flat black.

Lacquer thinner does wonders.
img_8495.jpg

Now it looks like this. Took about an hour to do this.
img_8496.jpg

And finally what I am shooting for in the end:
1979_f350_lariat_4x4_sc.jpg

I know my wife thinks I'm fixing it up to resell it but I got a strange feeling it is going to stay mine for a while.smilieFordlogo

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Looks like a good bit of work, but know you...it'll turn out spectacularly. Anxiously await updates.

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Scott, this is gonna be so badass! I heard there were only 800 1979 F350 extended cabs ever made. Looking forward to your progress!

Thanks guys. I don't know the actual # produced but I know it is not a lot and from what I can see that are left in my searches they have been turned into mud trucks or are rusted out. Should look good once it is done.

I'm undecided on the spotlights. I don't know whether to keep them on there with new ones or weld the holes up.

I'm undecided on the spotlights. I don't know whether to keep them on there with new ones or weld the holes up.

If you are looking for public opinion, I'd say you just ruined a perfectly good truck! :D Then again, I'm also one of those Northern CA, crazy-painted F350 w/topper driving weirdos, so maybe I'm biased, lol. Looking at the pics of your rigs, I'm sure everything will turn out just fine, oh, and yeah if you ae putting cop style flip up spot-lights, that would be sweet, and ditch the deer blinders.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Very Glad to see another rig being saved,you hit a home run as far as finding a rust free body!! that in itself makes the truck worth saving reguardless of the amount of work imo for they about dried up.here in the east you wont find solid candidates and those who have them are sitting on them.I got very lucky on my 79 for it came to me from the west.I am getting positive comments all the time.Good luck in the process of bringing her back.cant wait for more updates!!

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
That is gonna look sweet once you get it done....

Whats it got for a engine? 460 im guessin?

HOnestly whoever had it before you that did the camo and other hack jobs is the one that ruined it...IMO :)

That's gonna look great. I never got why ppl paint over trim on these trucks?? I always thought the trim was what made them look good! I've never seen one that solid. Nice.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Most do it to cover up imperfections in the chrome.Paint is less expensive than to re chrome the pieces.Now i do know a Jeff Foxworhty joke that can relate to this.....:wasntme:

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Lucky for us Ford boys though most Rednecks prefer chevys...

That is gonna look sweet once you get it done....

Whats it got for a engine? 460 im guessin?

HOnestly whoever had it before you that did the camo and other hack jobs is the one that ruined it...IMO :)

Yes it has the 400.

That's gonna look great. I never got why ppl paint over trim on these trucks?? I always thought the trim was what made them look good! I've never seen one that solid. Nice.

I really wish he would of left the trim alone.... Actually I wish he would of left the paint alone but it is what it is.

Got a little more work done, sanded the driver side of the bed down with 80 and then went over it with 180 to remove the sand scratches. I also got so more done on the cab. Work has been busy so time is limited right now for it.

img_0504.jpg

img_0503.jpg

Well it's been a while. I was able to get back at it a few weeks back when it warmed.

img_1283.jpg

img_1285.jpg

img_1284.jpg

How it sits now, spare tire carrier and slide out bumper brackets removed.
img_1290.jpg

Pretty cool find for 35 years later.
img_1288.jpg

Love me them West coast trucks!! No penetrating oil.
img_1287.jpg

New data plate from Marti finally came. Quality is great! Also ordered a build sheet with some interesting facts.

Only 1,682 1 ton supercabs made in 79. I'm guessing that there is only 50% of them left on the road today. I'd bet the rest are either rusted or parted. Only 37 painted the same as this one and only 14 with the same paint and trim codes.

marti-report.jpg

data-plate.jpg

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
^^^Wow. So many people ask if their truck is rare, and the answer is almost always "no". We finally are looking at a dent where the answer to that question is "YES!".

I'm glad you found it - we can all rest knowing that it's in great hands.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
He's alive! Can't wait to see this one done. smilieFordlogo

^^^Wow. So many people ask if their truck is rare, and the answer is almost always "no". We finally are looking at a dent where the answer to that question is "YES!".

I'm glad you found it - we can all rest knowing that it's in great hands.

Thanks Steve. I'd actually consider any dent 350 4wd Supercab from 79 to be rare today. They are getting harder to come by.

He's alive! Can't wait to see this one done. smilieFordlogo

Yes I'm still kickin. Been busier than all hell with work. Hopefully I can get this thing painted sometime over the summer.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Are you going to do anything with the frame and if so what and how? Just curious....not sure if the cab was going to come back off again from the looks of the pictures above.

I'm excited to see the finished product as well. You build is lightning speed compared to Duncan's. smilietease

Is this one staying in your collection or going up for sale?

Ford Truck Articles