Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Yet another, 79 F-350 restoration

Are you going to do anything with the frame and if so what and how? Just curious....not sure if the cab was going to come back off again from the looks of the pictures above.

I'm excited to see the finished product as well. You build is lightning speed compared to Duncan's. smilietease

Is this one staying in your collection or going up for sale?

I did start sanding the rear frame, I plan on undercoating that. I haven't pulled the cab, not sure if I'm going to. I'd like to have the frame sandblasted but really wasn't planning on going that far with this build. More than likely it will just be cleaned and undercoated underneath the cab.

I just called my painter to come and take a look at it and let me know when he wants it. As of right now I plan to keep it for a while.

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
This is really really cool! Keep us posted! Can't wait to see it done!

Back at it! Between the rain today it dried up enough for me to get the back of the cab primered. I have one more dent in the hood to fix and it is ready for paint! Hopefully funding will allow me to get this painted before summer is up. As much as I'd like to get it to a shop with a booth if the funds aren't there I'm probably going to do it myself.

img_1415.jpg

img_1416.jpg

I ditched the idea of undercoating the frame and decided to go with black paint.I first sprayed on some rust converter then primer and then the paint. Turned out pretty good. I also pulled the rear tank, cleaned it and painted that to. I need to pull the aux tank and clean that one next.

I also opted to remove the overload springs and frame brackets. They will be of no use with a lift on it.

img_1394.jpg

img_1395.jpg

img_1414.jpg

Think that shock will work? Fully extended, suspension popped once I cut the head off. This was with the shock fully extended.

img_1398.jpg

The build sheet a little easier to read.

marti-report-1.jpg

Yeah frame came out nice, no rusty scale build up. I'm not afraid to squirt it myself, well Ok maybe a pinch, silver can streak pretty easy. The whole reason for a body shop to do it Mark is for the booth. I don't want bug issues with the paint. When I painted the crew at the shop I had more bugs than I wanted in it the paint.

Yep silver metallic. If I had a booth I'd be wetsanding the primer now getting it ready.

Thanks buck. I went back to work on it today.

Buck tag on the firewall. Did a little cleaning on it today. Went from this:
img_1442.jpg

To this:
img_1451.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to decipher some of the codes, most I know.

Also sanded the core support and got some primer and paint on it.

Before:
img_1421.jpg

After:
Tried to save the radiator sticker and the A/C sticker. The radiator sticker peeled up with the tape.
img_1448.jpg

img_1437.jpg

Headlight buckets soaking in a bucket of electrolysis. Next up is remove the hood and hinges and inner fender wells.

I also found online a couple of pictures of it before the HACK got his hands on it. Yes that is white and not the original color. His grandpa had the silver redone in white.
f3504.jpg

f3502.jpg

And why the bed was in such great shape.
f3505.jpg

Evidence of the OE color. This gate took some abuse by the fawker and his camo paint. Those panels had to be in superb condition! :banghead
f3501.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Looking good as usual Scott!

Looking good as usual Scott!

I never get tired of seeing your work.

Thanks to you both.

More work. Als liner on the interior floor sprayed on with 25PSI. Pieces of tape covered all of the seat mounting holes to keep the liner from getting in there.

img_1495.jpg

img_1497.jpg

img_1498.jpg

img_1496.jpg

And a ton more sanding and priming. I believe I have the cab and front end ready for paint. I still have to sand the bed, haven't touched that yet other than sprayed the primer on it but I think that should go pretty quick.

img_1487.jpg

img_1486.jpg

Hood repair where I replaced the metal.
img_1488.jpg

Decided to tear into the motor before the paint. I also snagged a brand new Edelbrock Performer intake on ebay yesterday for 175 shipped. looking for cam, lifters, timing chain set and a complete gasket set. I'm also going to junk these heads and get the other set into the shop for a valve job.

Wish I knew someone that worked the assembly line, curious to know what the 137 meant.
img_15741.jpg

img_15751.jpg

I don't see how it could be a final inspector number. It would of been awful hard for him to scratch that on there with the inner fenderwell and plastic liner in place.

I called my friend, his memory is failing him too.
He seems to think the number indicated that that particular truck was going to be bought by a Ford employee. As it went down the line, the workers would take an extra second to make sure everything was perfect.

If that is true Mark I've got one hell of a special Supercab!

Mine doesn't have a number.

I'm going to call another friend that works parts dept. and worked lincoln parts back in the 70's.
He ordered a '79 F 150 that took 6 months to get. so I think he might know. That truck got stolen at about 6 months old and was never seen again.

I'm really liking this Dupli Color bedliner spray. I think it will last for a long time and add a lot of protection.

img_15761.jpg

img_15771.jpg

img_15811.jpg

img_15831.jpg

I tried for all practical purposes to replicate the 137.
img_15801.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts