Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Yet another, 79 F-350 restoration

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Any reason you chose to go with the duplicor instead of paint??? Or just insulation purposes??? Looks like it belongs there without too much texture. You worried about it fading any???

I went with the DC for a lot of reasons. One it is a bedliner, it lays on thicker than paint, prep work is a lot less, cost is a lot less and it is more resilient to scratches. It is paintable and I'm going to do a test paint on the power steering bracket i bedlined before I try it on the firewall. If it looks good i will paint the firewall black. Fading never really entered my mind but I don't think it will because it won't be exposed to the elements every day.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm really interested in seeing how the painted bedliner turns out, I think that would bring it all together really well.

I'll post some pics once I paint it.

On another note I got this from UPS today. It is the original black metallic dash color. Guess I know what will be painted next.

TCP Global is where I got it from, code is 32586.
img_15841.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
As coincidence would have it...I went perusing google for a 79 350 SC 4x4...I came across one that was a Lariat with 49k on the odo. Then I realized the classified was a little older...then I realized the truck was camo. I couldn't believe that guy started at what 10k...or was it 8k??? Anyway...I WILL own that truck one day, whethere you know it or not. I always say the vehicle picks you, not the other way around...and that damn thing keeps circling back.

Can't wait to see it done, Scott. Gonna hang on to this one?

If I read the post below it doesn't look like I am. smilietease

I plan on it as of right now but ya just never know.

As coincidence would have it...I went perusing google for a 79 350 SC 4x4...I came across one that was a Lariat with 49k on the odo. Then I realized the classified was a little older...then I realized the truck was camo. I couldn't believe that guy started at what 10k...or was it 8k??? Anyway...I WILL own that truck one day, whethere you know it or not. I always say the vehicle picks you, not the other way around...and that damn thing keeps circling back.

I had to go over to that other place to figure out how long I've owned this truck. It looks like it left Ca on 08-13-2012 and arrived here on 09-06-2012. Picture below of it loaded up leaving Cali.

And for the future my purchase thread. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...er-special-lariat-long-bed-side-tool-box.html I don't remember where he started but I was at 2K for it plus shipping then he hit me for another 500 because someone else was going to give him 2500 for it. Aside from the hassle of buying it from this dick and getting screwed around on the title I'm glad I went through with it.

Maybe one day it will be yours Ben......

015.jpg

And some of his sale quotes.

ill try to get there today and take some. i wanted this sold by now. how bout 8k obo

My bottom is 6k. Craigslist here i come lol

$4000 anyone? lol

And his first thread about the truck: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/901392-1979-ford-ranger-4x4-supercab-help.html

To cold for paint today..... So I ripped apart the rest of the motor. Time to order up some parts. I'm about one step away from lifting the cab off the frame to. Not sure I want to get that far with it though..... decisions, decisions.

img_15911.jpg

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
My vote is take the cab off. Simply because I'm the OCD freak I am, it'd allow me to clean everything. :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
When you do that, it leads to all kinds of extra work which from what I have seen, leads to abuse from others because it takes too long.

:D

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Seeing your truck finished is my retirement gift to myself... considering I won't retire for another 50 years; I'm sure it'll be done... mostly. smilietease

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Seeing your truck finished is my retirement gift to myself... considering I won't retire for another 50 years; I'm sure it'll be done... mostly. smilietease

There is no middle finger smilie it seems....smilietease :wavey:

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
We need to fix that! :rofl:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Take the cab off...a couple extra days of cleaning and painting will be worth it. You're this close now...might as well. It would eat me alive knowing going to the extent if work you do/have already done and know I left something untouched.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
There is no middle finger smilie it seems....smilietease :wavey:

finger.gif

Take the cab off...a couple extra days of cleaning and painting will be worth it. You're this close now...might as well. It would eat me alive knowing going to the extent if work you do/have already done and know I left something untouched.

This is kinda what I'm thinking, BUT Duncan has a point. Apart from doing a complete frame off nut and bolt restoration, it could just lead to, "Well, now that I have the cab off, I can do this..."

This is kinda what I'm thinking, BUT Duncan has a point. Apart from doing a complete frame off nut and bolt restoration, it could just lead to, "Well, now that I have the cab off, I can do this..."

That is one reason I don't want to pull the cab. This would turn into another 2 year project. I'd also have to build some custom horses to set the cab on. Other than the top side of the frame rails there wont be much I don't detail.

It is close to being off though.

img_1596.jpg

Sanding on the frame rails.
img_1594.jpg

I decided to go full bedliner on the door jamb as well.
img_1598.jpg

The all important matching VIN. Looks like someone was lazy and forgot an X.:headbang:
img_1587.jpg

Still had the original phenolic cam gear with just a little slop.
img_1589.jpg

Last edited:
Got a little paint work done today. It was in the mid 70's and no wind. Ended up with a few bugs but I just buried them deeper in the paint. Unfortunately it is a single stage paint so no wetsanding. Gloss is great but I don't think the color is spot on. Going to have to live with it.

img_16071.jpg

img_16101.jpg

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Looks good!

Who says you can't sand single stage?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts