Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Buzz's 460 upgrade

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Do we get to hear? :)

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

Oh man can't wait to hear it Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Okay....Okay already....lol....Get ready in the near future for some 460 THUUUUNNNNDDDDDDEEEERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

No Prolblem Doug !!! :) smilieFordlogo

BuzzGun79

Below is a "simulated" fire off of my engine...the first run is the engine as it was before the cam upgrade....

dyno460_002.JPG

The next with the cam upgrade..along with head porting...

dyno460_001.JPG

as you can see by the graph...the engine curve has changed dramaticly...ive picked up a few more horses...along with more torque in lower rpm range..right where im wanting it....

BuzzGun79

Hope everyone had an enjoyable Holiday weekend......:flag: Now a liitle update.....

The engine is back in....Bottom end/ underneath is all done and bolted back up.....

460coming_together_002.JPG

Still waiting on the timing cover to arrive..so were addressing the top end..going as far as we can...OH The Drama is BUILDING NOW !!!! lol....

460coming_together_004.JPG

:) smilieFordlogo Go Ahead....and STARE...lol I am...hehe :)

Last edited:

BuzzGun79

I'm staring Bob!!!! would look great in an orange engine bay.....
Looks awesome!

Thanks Roy !!! :)....I bet it would...lol ....ya never know man....if i decide to go stroker motor in the future..and im am planning on it...this engine will be sold...

smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
What's the numbers on the screen Bob?

BuzzGun79

What's the numbers on the screen Bob?

Duncan...the numbers /graph are a computer simulation of my engine running before the build...and after the cam addition...in the graphs you will notice how in the second pic the engine curve has leveld out more with less fall off at higher rpms than the first...along with some improvements in the engines HP and Torque numbers.....using the engine dyno computer software supplied by Smokey...this software is used to predetermine an engine build before its actually done...Thanks again Randy!! :)

smilieFordlogo

Last edited:

BuzzGun79

Well i am quite pleased and PUMPED to announce this 460 build is...a complete.......

it_runs_006.JPG

SUCCESS!!!!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIII........:)

it_runs_005.JPG

No more SMOKER......AND she sounds just great!!!..."IM LOVIN IT" :)

smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Duncan...the numbers /graph are a computer simulation of my engine running before the build...and after the cam addition...in the graphs you will notice how in the second pic the engine curve has leveld out more with less fall off at higher rpms than the first...along with some improvements in the engines HP and Torque numbers.....using the engine dyno computer software supplied by Smokey...this software is used to predetermine an engine build before its actually done...Thanks again Randy!! :)

smilieFordlogo

Hehe..I know what that is....I was looking for the actual numbers :D smilieFordlogo

BuzzGun79

data_002.JPG

Okay..this is the stock pull above.....Approxitmatly 350 horsepower is reached at 4,000 rpms...hangs for about 1,000 r's then starts to fall off around 5,000 rpms.....

Torque.....450 ft lbs of torque @ 3,000 falls off @ 5,000

data_001.JPG

data_001.JPG

after the cam 400+ @ 5,000 rpms falls off @ 5700 Horsepower is moved to a higher rpm range then stock

torque......420+ @ 3500 falling off @ 4500 this is also moved to a higher rpm range

Last edited:

BuzzGun79

am I seeing it right Bob? you have less torque after the cam swap?

Good Eye there Roy!! :) whats lost in torque is gained in HP Roy....

While more torque would be wanted in a towing truck or rock crawler, the fact that he moved the curve up and gained horsepower is actually a significant improvement in the engine's efficiency.

Well said G.O....Thank you! :)

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid

Bob, this is awesome....glad it's all back together and running!

Thanks Ken...she's at a running stage....but still got wotk to do....smilieFordlogo

BuzzGun79

Heres an update...our engine runs well,has abit of an attitude at idle...but i do hear some rocker arm noise.....Oh well i tried to save $$$ & reuse the old ones...Sooo out with the old for some new stock units from.......

rockers_001.JPG

Available from the folks with........

Buzz_s_460_upgrade_005.JPG

replacing all 16...SUCCESS!! No more noisey valve train!! :)

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts