Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Favorite Tire

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey fellas...sorry if this has been done before, but I just wanted to know what everyone's favorite tire is in different driving conditions? I would like to know why it's your favorite, what conditions you use it in, and approximate cost per tire. Here's my list:

Mud: Interco Bogger, 37x13x16.5=$350 per, best tire for the mud DOT approved

Street Driving: Interco SSR, 37x12.5x16.5= $350ish per, looks good/get 40-50k out of them/still has offroad capability

Trail riding: Interco bias TSL, 36x14.5x16.5=$275ish, great traction.

Since I'm in the south, I don't have much need for a snow tire, but would be interested in what you guys run. Also, I'm not in much of a rainy area, so what do you guys run for good wet traction?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Best Luck was with the SSR also. 31 10.50 15's

Running Hankook RT03's right know, and HATE them. 33 11.50 17's

giving the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw's a shot next, 35 12.50 17's

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I run michelin ltx m/s in load range e on all 4 wheels. they run about $25 a piece used. Lord only knows what they are new. Prolly 300 each or some such.

I know this doesn't really contribute to your thread, but it is what i have for tires. I must add though that they have excellent treadwear. Under the load of my ~7750# truck they last a long time.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well you have to let me know how those claws turn out. I was thinking of switching to Claws on the Bronco since Interco is apparently gold plating their stuff these days. Anyways, I don't know many guys who do run Claws, and if they do, they run bias ply and say they run out really quick. I'd be looking at the radials. However, with rigs I've driven that had Claws, I feel the claws are probably the 3rd best mud tire out there behind Boggers, Hawg's and then tied with the Irok.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Yeah I am going withe the radials, gotta get the rest of the miles outta these I can right now then I'll switch.

I run michelin ltx m/s in load range e on all 4 wheels. they run about $25 a piece used. Lord only knows what they are new. Prolly 300 each or some such.

I know this doesn't really contribute to your thread, but it is what i have for tires. I must add though that they have excellent treadwear. Under the load of my ~7750# truck they last a long time.

Thats whats on my truck in the 31" form, but what I really like are the Yokohama Geolandar AT-S:

geoATS1.gif

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
For a dedicated mud rig, you can't beat an R1 ag tire.
If it has to be street driven also, swamper or bogger.
For all purpose, I like my Mickey Thompson Baja MT radials.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I with piggy on the Ag's.
I run Goodyear. R/T's come in 36/12.50/16.5
Paid 40 a piece for them, had them on for about 10k miles wear really nice, and perform fairly well in all offroad situations...

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I have goodyear tires r/t I think. they are the kevlar ones on the explorer. they seem ok.
the Rangers have a cooper mud tire on the one, the other has recaps.
the other explorer I just got has some wimpy all season crap tire on it going to strip it for the EB package on it.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Interco for the mud. I am running Cooper SST's 35 x 12.50 x 16 on the superduty. I love them Great traction and they are wearing great. BFG all terrain on the excursion. They were on it when it was bought. When they need to be replaced I will go with something else. They do good on the ex but are priced too high for my taste.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yokohamas? I never heard too much good about them.
My mother's Subaru came with 'em from the factory. Kicked butt in the snow (for an all-season) when they were new; looked pretty worn by 45k miles, but I guess that's pretty understandable for a factory tire.

I'm a stingy SOB when it comes to tires. The ones on the front of my truck, I got off TireRack.com for $25 apiece, clearance. They're okay, I guess. Have a pair of Michelin WeatherWise, too, that I took off for my snow tires. They've got about 45k miles on 'em and still look brand new (one still even has a bar-code sticker on it :D). Downside to their terrific wearing, is that they don't grip real well. Terrific tire on dry roads, fair in rain, mediocre-to-poor in snow.

I don't have a 4x4, and don't really go off-road, so I won't comment on off-roading tires. But I do live in Maine, so I will comment on snow tires. Nokian Hakkepellitas are the best snow tires I've ever driven on. I've been, uh, well, uh...FAST on them (on a dry interstate) and they were rock-solid, and they grip great when it's slick, too. Plenty of snow-tires grip good in the snow, in my experience, but they're often noticeably worse even at legal highway speeds than regular all-seasons, especially in cross-winds.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright, I gotta ask...where the flip are you guys finding Geolander's at? Last I knew, they didn't distribute to the US (or were real expensive to get here), something about it not being cost effective. Am I completely stupid, and they have always distributed here, or have Yokohama's Geolander line finally made it over here? Cuz I always loooooooooved their MT's but could never get them, if they are here now, I'm gonna get some for the 87 Bronco.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The Subie tires said "Geolander" on the sidewall.

I nicked a curb once, had to replace the tire with one of the same model. Every tire place I stopped at could order them, none had it in stock (at least before I gave up and had them order it). That was in New Hampshire about three years ago, I think. Cost me ~$150 for one Forester-sized tire, mounted and balanced.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I don't do much muddin, and my truck is stock. My favorite is the BFG A/T KO 30X9.50X15. This is my second set and they beat anything I've ever used.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I was lookin into the cooper's too. For what this truck sees it might be better...

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I've had my geolanders on my truck for 8 years :) I don't think i'll ever buy another brand, I hate any thing made by goodyear Garbage, the only other tires I like are Michelins and Bridgstones and Generals..

Alright, I gotta ask...where the flip are you guys finding Geolander's at? Last I knew, they didn't distribute to the US (or were real expensive to get here), something about it not being cost effective. Am I completely stupid, and they have always distributed here, or have Yokohama's Geolander line finally made it over here? Cuz I always loooooooooved their MT's but could never get them, if they are here now, I'm gonna get some for the 87 Bronco.

Americas Tire Company, and Discount Tire Company.... :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts