Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Favorite Tire

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon

2HI2CU

North Carolina Chapter member
NC
I was going to post this as an utter joke....
Worst tire i have ever owned.

That's hard to imagine....the BFG's are the best tires for my 97 F350. They don't hydroplane in the rain,goes like hell in the snow,and wear great even with the weight of the PSD in it. Now the cost of them I could do without!!

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
GoodYear Wrangler RT/II's Military Issue, 36x12.5x16.5
Love em, never been stuck, wearing great, and look mean, would like white letters tho, but for 275 shipped for 4 you cant beat them.
3.jpg

I also like the Dick Cepek FC II's 315/75/16(35x12.5) Where on my bros jeep.
Rode so nice, not loud, wore like Iron, and got through what I threw at it.

The MT Baja Claws wear out super fast, had a guy come into my job with 35x12.5x16's and he had 16K on them and they were about done. I bought his spair for 50 bucks that was on the spair rim on the jeep. So if thats the size i can save u some money on 1 tire lol.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey 95F350...where did you get those for $275 shipped? And do you have any predictions on mileage for those things? The local 4wd shop stopped carrying the 36's and only bring in the 37" radials. If I could get 25-30,000 miles out of a set, I might throw those on the Bronco.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
37"s are supposed to be better than the 36"s.
I also have the 36"s i got them for 200, for 5... I picked them up though...
They are awesome i love them. I have NEVER been stuck with them, had the truck burried up to the doors, in mud, then a u-joint on my front shaft gave up on life and i still got out. 2wd and almost 3/4 of a tank of gas later i was out...

As for the bfg's.
Nope i have never hydro planed with them, but sliding around on wet pavement is not something i am fond of.
They do alright in a dirt and gravel area, almost any other off road situation ive been in they are not worth crap, and the price is plain ridiculous.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
37"s are supposed to be better than the 36"s.
I also have the 36"s i got them for 200, for 5... I picked them up though...
They are awesome i love them. I have NEVER been stuck with them, had the truck burried up to the doors, in mud, then a u-joint on my front shaft gave up on life and i still got out. 2wd and almost 3/4 of a tank of gas later i was out...

As for the bfg's.
Nope i have never hydro planed with them, but sliding around on wet pavement is not something i am fond of.
They do alright in a dirt and gravel area, almost any other off road situation ive been in they are not worth crap, and the price is plain ridiculous.

x2...about the BFG's. As far as the GY's...I've had the 37's on Thunder, and the tread is NO WHERE NEAR as aggressive as the 36's. To me, the 37's were a glorified A/T. The tread design was totally different, there was a 1" difference, and the 37's are radials. So I didn't think they were even close to being the same tire. But maybe there has been a redesign since I had the 37's about 4 years ago.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Where do you order those ?

There military surplus tires...so usually you have to have a dealer that knows where to get them. My 4wd shop is about 20 mins from a base, so that's their hook up.

racsan

4xford
i like the pep boys store brand dakota futura's. they are very similar to the bfg a/t t/a and a whole lot less cash. about 55 a tire for a 235/75-15. wear good, quiet on the highway and eat snow very well. havent had them in the dirt much, but what times ive did, they did the job.
Picture409004.jpg
93ranger012.jpg
93ranger013.jpg

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I wonder if you could go straight to the military and ask em if they got any that are decent? Theres a place in salt lake called smith and edwards and they have a huge 60 acre yard and 171,000 sq ft building of military stuff, sporting goods and tons of other stuff. Type in smithandedwards.com and youll see what im talkin about.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Smith and Edwards, is a great place. My cousin lives in Logan, and on the way to the air port in Salt Lake we stopped there. I didnt want to leave. I got the tires from ebay, but that was like 3 years ago now. Umm I got the truck with like 96K on it, got 120K now. That was a pic of them the 1st day I put em on. Here is a pic now.

The 1st pic is on a 7.75" wide wheel. This one is on a 10" wide wheel.
IMG_0122.jpg

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
You will like it, they have alot of stuff there.

I am running Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's on both my trucks,

on the 78 its got 35x12.50x15 had them for 2 years they still look new. Work decent in the mud especially if you let some air out so the big sidewall lugs can get a bite.

on the 95 i just bought them last week, they are 315/75/R16 i went with them because i am happy with them on my 78 and because goodyear had a $100 mail in rebate, plus lifetime rotation and they are only a few blocks away.

I almost went with 36x12.50x16 TSL Radials for the 95.

FordBoy86

Kentucky Chapter member
I need some tires on my truck 31-33 inches. I want them to be good in the mud but be daily driven so i need some tires to get some miles out of them but noise doesn't bother me. Also need them to handle some occasional snow in the winter time.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I need some tires on my truck 31-33 inches. I want them to be good in the mud but be daily driven so i need some tires to get some miles out of them but noise doesn't bother me. Also need them to handle some occasional snow in the winter time.

I'll go ahead and recommend the SSR if you're looking for an aggressive tread look. Or a BFG M/T is always a good fall back, and I've heard nothing but good things about Cooper STT's.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yes definitely, the SSR has a tighter tread design and a harder rubber compund. So it'll give you more miles. However, the TSL radial will be better offroad. The SSR, to me, is a step above a M/T and a step below a swamper in the offroad department, and the other way around when it comes to streetability. Now I could throw another tire in there, the Swamper TRXUS M/T, but I have no experience with those...so I can't really speak about them. But the trxus looks like a mix of a M/T and a SSR.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts