Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Slightly Modified Engine Build (Take 7)!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
The E85 is rated at no less than 105 octane. I have to upgrade my fuel lines but ALOT of the street and strip racers are going to E85 setups with a return line fuel setup. Pretty neat stuff really.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The E85 is rated at no less than 105 octane. I have to upgrade my fuel lines but ALOT of the street and strip racers are going to E85 setups with a return line fuel setup. Pretty neat stuff really.

Cool...I didn't realize that..edit..I'm an idiot...I've been reading that backwards...so it is 85% alcohol...not 85% gas..what a maroon.

Last edited:

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Yeah you can research alot on SVTforums but For a guy like you and I that are looking for the octane without the cost. The only thing is once you switch its NOT dual purpose. You can only run E85 from that point on so you have to do your research and find your stations. Luckily there is a website for that.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yeah you can research alot on SVTforums but For a guy like you and I that are looking for the octane without the cost. The only thing is once you switch its NOT dual purpose. You can only run E85 from that point on so you have to do your research and find your stations. Luckily there is a website for that.

My understanding was that the true octane rating for the E85 was closer to 94-96..(R+M)/2...nonetheless though, it's still higher than even the best premium. I don't think I'd want to make the switch like that for my car...I figure a TVS will get me to the 650RWHP mark which is good enough for a daily driver....keep us updated on your build!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Oh yeah definatly, I am going to the 650 -700 range at the rear tires with 35's LOL so this will be a great build....

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Doc, is that where your ring gaps were?
Or is that just where you added a way to get more air into the cylinder?

My question is, where everything got blown out, was that inline with the ring gaps or just a random place?

Good eye, I missed that the first time.. Thats why your supposed to stager your gaps @ 90* to each other...

** Not saying thats what happened, just what can happen.....

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
After closer inspection that is where the top ring gap was. All the others are staggered around the piston.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
they are more open under boosted app in my case.

N/A motor ring gaps are .015
S/C gaps were to be set at .023 on top and .027 on second.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
alright, i retract previous statement....
DOH!
Got it backwards. But you got it right,
What did you use to figure your ring gaps?

Bore size X .006 I think IIRC

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
LOL hopefully a while!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
OK little update on the build since I haven't updated yet. Found some JLP R heads from a lightning owner upgrading to there new XR heads. still working on the details yet.

The stage 3 Comp cams, manley pistons and such are getting ordered in the next couple weeks I have to get this thing to the machine shop to get bored over, line honed, balanced and blueprinted...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Got ALOT done on the motor over the past few days. Some things have changed on the plans of the motor build. I am going to build a stock lightning lower for now. and only tune in at 450hp. I have the spare block so I can build it with the .020 bore, new rods and such. I just need this truck back on the road. So here are some shots of the progress....

Photo0047.jpg

Photo0048.jpg

Photo0049.jpg

Photo0051.jpg

Photo0052.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts